It’s literally 92 days to the end of 2016 and the last day of September. The time is exactly 10:08 pm est(eastern time zone) and the goal is to pen some few things down now, before I retire to bed. Wanted to write now but I hadn’t thought of exactly what I intend writing on. But well…
So, a nouvelle année approaches soon and the anticipation and excitement that comes with each fresh year cannot be described enough. The new year resolutions and plans with all those goals that ‘can’ only be achieved in a ‘new’ year. But should that be it? “Oh! This new year is gonna be better”. “I’m gonna do this and that and that”. “I will eat healthier and read my Bible regularly”. “I will get a new job”. “I will save more” .”I will … and blah, blah, blah”. Is that enough? Do we have to wait until a new year before we do what we want to do? Do we even start at all? And would just saying it bring all those goals and desires to reality? Have we planned to act on it ? Or this ‘new’ year is gonna turn into another ‘old year’ with not much done?
As much as there’s nothing wrong with being enthusiastic and expectant of the joy and goodies each new year brings, that shouldn’t be it. There’s more to life than just waiting for a new year to start or do something new. More to life than just talking ‘around’ goals and desires than actually working towards the actualization of these goals. There’s this out of the ordinary boost that sometimes comes with a new year which could make one think that he or she can conquer the world. Haha 🙂 And then suddenly that boost becomes as transient as a deflated balloon. Ok. As I reflect on this ‘trend’, some few things have become clearer to me with each passing year and these are some few tips to embrace as 2017 approaches.
- PRAY: Pray about your desires and goals and commit your plans to the Lord. Seek His views concerning the coming year. He knows the end from the beginning and His plans for you are definitely greater than what you are hatching for yourself.
- CHOOSE QUALITY: Focus on quality, not quantity. Do not overwhelm yourself with too many goals. Rather, select the very necessary and achievable(that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t dream nor pursue bigger goals) ones that are relevant to your now season in life. This is one of the reasons why seeking the LORD’s face first comes in place. This helps boost your self-esteem as well(after achieving these goals).
- WRITE THEM DOWN!: I cannot emphasize enough the importance of writing your goals down. Write them in a designated book and not on a paper or on the phone. This can serve as a record for all those goals you have achieved as well as be a yardstick to measure the progress of your goals.
- DISCIPLINE:Be disciplined! It takes discipline and it will take discipline(lots of this) to work towards the achievement of your goals. Without discipline, action cannot be taken nor be continued when things get tougher towards the finish line. No discipline, no action! No discipline, no resilience!
- BREATHE;REVIVE!: Enjoy the process of ‘getting there’. Surround yourself with like-minded people as well as those who have achieved what you want to attain. Be accountable to your goals and share them with a trusted friend, mentor, loved one or spouse. This will help you get on track. Smile 🙂
Any thoughts or tips you can share? Let’s talk.
I hope this post was worth the read. Until next time…and oh! I did finish this post before September 2016 said goodbye. #happydance …yaaay!